Methodists have been worshipping in Uppingham for nearly 200 years.
It all began in 1817 when Charles Peach, a schoolmaster, living in High Street East, registered his schoolroom as a ‘place of dissenting worship’.
In 1819 the Methodists purchased the present site for the sum of £58 16s and built what was then known as the Wesleyan Chapel at a cost of £486 13s 3d.
Photo of the Chapel
In 1872 the church was substantially rebuilt providing seating for 180. In 1887 a schoolroom was added. No. 3 North Street West, probably intended as a manse, was owned by the church until the mid 20th century. The side entrance to the church from North Street West leads into what was originally an old cottage and in living memory was a barber’s shop. The two cottages on Orange Street were built and owned by the Drake family who were stonemasons and prominent Methodists from the beginning until the mid 20th century.
In 1999 a major refurbishment of the interior was completed to provide comfortable multi purpose premises for a new millennium.
Further information from Uppingham Local History Studies Group website www.uppinghamhistory.org.uk