The branch line between Seaton and Uppingham opened in 1894 for both goods and passenger traffic. The single line was operated by the London & North Western Railway Co., but in 1923 it was taken over by the London, Midland & Scottish Railway. The service was regularly used by Stamford School pupils and a Special was operated at the beginning and end of term for the boys of Uppingham School. For many years the line was an essential element in the social and economic framework of the town. The increasing popularity of the motor car and the decline in freight traffic meant that closure in 1964 under the Beeching axe was inevitable. The station buildings were demolished and the area is now the site of a light industry estate.